Here are Videos & Tutorials that I have published on the web.
CFCS Window SIG January 8, 2017 https://youtu.be/vtOHeGlbMR0 01:15:47
The Windows SIG meeting of the Central Florida Computer Society for January 8, 2017 covered items were:
- How Not to Drive Your Adult Kids Nuts on Facebook
- Quick Bandwidth Speed Check
- Bandwidth Speed Test
- Windows recovery disk tip: When and if it needs updating
- When you can’t create the Windows 10 Recovery Drive, try these three fixes
- Windows 10 annoyances and solutions
- 3 handy built-in Windows tools you should know about
- Fix update errors in Windows 10 with this new tool from Microsoft
- How to Back Up Your Computer Automatically with Windows 10’s Built-in Tools
- How to use Windows 10’s File History backup feature
- Windows 10 Creators Update expected to arrive in April
- 11+ New Features Coming to Windows 10 in 2017
- Windows 10 Creators Update: all the new features Microsoft didn’t mention
- The best apps for your new Windows 10 PC
- 12 Essential Windows Apps to Make Your Life Simpler
Windows 10 TaskBar – https://youtu.be/QUeha4-KxTE 00:23:01
Hewie’s Views & Reviews presents his Tips, Tricks, and Help – The Windows 10 TaskBar and Its Many Settings. September 26, 2016
Create USB Recovery Drive https://youtu.be/eWkTZoKz160 00:09:24
A short tutorial shows how to create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 8 & Windows 10. This video was created using the 1607 version of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The Recovery Drive was created on a 16 GB Kingston DataTraveler Stick, however just over 6GB of space was used.
GeneJones BikeRun2016 https://youtu.be/pMlj1rtQ4t0 00:01:06
Ad for Eagle Riders #3171 Bradenton, Florida. This is my first Doodly project.
CFCS WinSIG September 2016 https://youtu.be/WAhDT_yZgbk 01:06:02
The following topics were covered:
- 9 ways to keep your Windows computer safe
- How to use Google’s Search Tools filters to find exactly what you’re looking for
- Why your USB drive’s file format matters: FAT32 vs. exFAT vs. NTFS
- All the Coolest Features of Windows 10’s Anniversary Update
- 10 New Tricks of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update You Must Try
- Windows 10: The best tricks, tips, and tweaks
- 12 obscure new Windows 10 features that eliminate everyday hassles
- 16 Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues & How to Fix Them
CFCS WinSIG August 2016 https://youtu.be/0l383hU9NbE 00:55:51
The following topics were covered:
- Don’t panic! How to fix 5 common PC emergencies
- 3 pre-Windows 10 tricks worth revisiting
- A portable PC survival kit
- Download The PortableApps.com Platform
- Portable App Directory
- Long-running malvertising campaign infected thousands of computers per day
- RogueKiller Anti-malware
- How to Know If Someone Has Hacked Your Social Media
- Collection of tricks and hacks for getting the most out of Google Search Bar
- How Search Engines Work & Ways to Improve Your Search Results
- Skip the Login Screen! Here’s How to Boot Into Windows Directly
- Facebook just can’t stop growing
- This Cheat Sheet Is Full of Shortcuts for Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and More
CFCS WinSIG July 2016 https://youtu.be/0l383hU9NbE 00:55:51
July 2016 WinSIG Meeting Notes:
- 13 Windows Diagnostics Tools to Check Your PC’s Health
- How to figure out if a website is down…or if it’s just you
- Identify edited JPEGs with JPEGSnoop
- 25 browser add-ons for an easier, hassle-free web experience
- 10 Common Misconceptions About Wireless Networks
- Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) – What you need to know
- TextPad’s a Plain Text Editor In Your Browser
CFCS WinSIG June 2016 https://youtu.be/N8lOpdzpDqw 00:58:50
- OneLook Reverse Dictionary Helps Find That Word You Can’t Remember
- Read this before you take a Facebook quiz again
- 10 tools that fix common Windows frustrations
- Feds spend billions to run museum-ready computer systems
- U.S. government agencies are still using Windows 3.1, floppy disks and 1970s computers
- How to get special characters using Alt key codes or the Word Symbols library
- What Windows 7 holdouts will miss: 11 improvements in Windows 10
- Giant Windows 7 roll-up patch takes the headache out of updating a new PC
- Free Computer Training – Quick References
- 16 Quick Tips to Make You a Facebook Power User
- 15 simple, secret Windows tips and tricks designed to save you time
- How to add any website to Windows 10’s Start menu
- 10 Reasons You Should Be Using Microsoft Edge Now
- How to Block the Windows Upgrade, Everything We Know
- 12 obscure new Windows 10 features that eliminate everyday hassles
- 30 Insanely Useful Websites You Probably Don’t Know About
Scanning & OCR with your Mobile Device https://youtu.be/KFS4b6Jgjro 00:18:11
- CamScanner by INTSIG
- ScannerPro by Readdle
- ScanBizCards by ScanBiz
Customizing & Using Windows 10 https://youtu.be/MssbfD7j7qQ 00:50:10
Presentation for the APCUG Virtual Conference (VTC19) – February 21, 2016 – Learn how to customize Windows 10 so it works for you: the Desktop, Start Menu, Task bar, security / privacy options, and more.
CFCS WinSIG April2016 https://youtu.be/fotTBfEDUhw 01:00:32
The Windows SIG of the Central Florida Computer Society hosted Hewie Poplock on Sunday, April 10, 2016.
- Vivaldi 1.0 goes Final,
- How To: Hide Specific Updates from Windows 10,
- How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10,
- FaceBook Cloning is a real problem,
- How do I report a fake account that’s pretending to be me?,
- New Bogus Invoice Emails Could Lead to Ransomware Attack,
- What’s in the hidden Windows AppData Folder, and how to find it if you need it,
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know the Windows Photos App Could Do,
- Tip: WinDirStat can help you free up storage space,
- WinDirStat – Windows Directory Statistics,
- 7 Windows taskbar tricks,
- 8 Annoying Windows 10 Issues & How to Fix Them,
- How to Find Drivers for Windows
CFCS WinSIG March2016 https://youtu.be/2Fb9yydqR5Y 01:30:00
Here are the topics for the March, 2016 Windows SIG Meeting:
- The Ultimate Guide to Microsoft Windows 10 Troubleshooting – Extensive and comprehensive guide to troubleshooting and solving common problems in Windows 10
- Shutdown – Restart shortcut Windows 10, how to create?
- Question and answers about software and Windows!
- 12 irritating Windows 10 installation issues, and how to fix them
- 7 easy tips to extend your PC’s lifespan
- The 6 essential Windows software programs for any PC
- 15 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do with Dropbox
- How to Tell if Your Computer is Vulnerable to Hackers
- How to Use Your Google Calendar in the Windows 10 Calendar App
File Managers Windows 7 10 February 14, 2016 https://youtu.be/3Xm5CrJOE2k 00:41:22
One Topic for Today will take the entire meeting. I will be talking about using Windows Explorer and File Manager in Windows 7 & Windows 10. This will be helpful for users of all versions of Windows. The Slideshow has been posted and you can view it at the link or in the embedded slideshow.
Windows Explorer Tips https://youtu.be/VP5iqpB4dew 00:01:28
Short video on Windows Explorer
Using RSS Feeds & Evernote to Save Hours Per Day Keeping up with Technology https://youtu.be/1ir4KESrwAY 00:46:43
If you are frustrated when looking for an article that you read yesterday, last week, or last year, see how you can organize and save everything you might want to read or share easily, and find quickly. You will see how Hewie sifts through hundreds or thousands of articles, finds an interesting one and saves and categorizes it in a searchable format. All of his saved articles are accessible from his PC, tablets, or phone.
Evernote Presented at APCUG DMA NASAC Conference Sept 2013 https://youtu.be/05KEGBkLZRE 00:25:23
This is a pre-recording of the Evernote presentation at the APCUG DMA NASAC Conference Sept 2013 by Hewie Poplock
Evernote – How I use it & What it is https://youtu.be/AyPPu1CRQFY 01:12:04
A Presentation of Evernote to the Computer Technology Conference 2013 in Arizona on April 5, 2013 by Hewie Poplock
ID Theft – How to Avoid It October 2015 https://youtu.be/izWfaODmu-U 00:49:12
Hewie is a victim of identity theft; his presentation covers typically boring facts & figures with up-to-date and interesting information along with examples of actual instances of events leading to ID theft. Then Hewie will give us many great suggestions on how to prevent us from experiencing ID Theft and what to do if we do become a victim.
CFCS WinSIG September2015 https://youtu.be/rJi1PRtOU-8 01:12:01
- Quick Review of articles about Windows 10 Security
- Buying a laptop? Here’s how to make sense of Intel’s new Core chips
- To get into safe mode in Windows 10
- How To: Add a Web Shortcut to the Windows 10 Start Screen
- Edge Browser Tips – Settings and Customizations
- Windows 10 Action Center
- 7 Tips for Customizing the Windows 10 Taskbar
- 10 Common Computer Myths You Need To Stop Believing
- Windows 10 Tip: Find and Use Internet Explorer When Needed
- Ten of the Best Places to Learn About Window 10
- How to customize Windows 10’s Start Menu
- Make Windows 10 File Explorer Open to This PC Instead of Quick Access
- 6 Underappreciated Features of the Windows Operating System
- Free first aid for a wide range of Windows ills
- When Windows refuses to eject mass storage: 5 ways to safely remove a USB drive
CFCS WinSIG July2015 Win10 https://youtu.be/1_rF8l2X-IM 01:07:50
Today we will examine the differences between Windows 10 & 8.1.
We will also look at many of the included apps in Win10. We will also look at Cortana and see some of the many things that can be done with a virtual assistant.
CFCS WinSIG June2015 Win10 https://youtu.be/09ayTA9sQbU 01:04:33
Also view at http://hewie.net/winsig/windows-sig-meeting-notes-2015/meeting-notes-winsig-2015-06-14/ with links
- Windows 10 Specifications – Microsoft
- What is Windows 10?
- Here Are The Features Microsoft Is Cutting From Windows 10
- Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130 for PCs
- Where Windows 10 stands right now – (June 1) build 10130:
- Should You Upgrade to Windows 10?
- Windows 10 Related Articles
- CNET 10 may just be everything that Windows 8 should have been
- CNET How to enable ‘Hey, Cortana’ on Windows 10
- CNET Your guide to Windows 10 – Many help links
- Windows 10 – CNET Articles
- Windows 10 Settings menu: The Network & Internet tab – CNET
- Windows 10 Settings menu: The Personalization tab – CNET
- Windows 10 Tip: Customize and Configure the Taskbar
- Windows 10 Tip: Customize and Configure Start
- Windows 10 Feature Focus: Maps
- How to use multiple desktops in Windows 10 CNET
- Windows 10 Tip: Clean Up Quick Access
WinSIG March08 2015 https://youtu.be/Ozaqpzq85c4 01:03:50
All links are available at http://hewie.net/winsig/windows-sig-meeting-notes-2015/meeting-notes-2015-03-08-winsig/
- Facebook Heir? Time to Choose Who Manages Your Account When You Die
- How To Find & Change Your WiFi Password
- 5 Online Sources for Disposable Email Addresses
- Call it 802.11baaa: A new research project may look at ways to turn sheep into wandering, wooly Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Can I add a Start Menu to Windows 8?
- How to take screenshot of your Start Screen?
- 10 surprising technologies that could change the world
- Ask the Experts: Are Your Passwords Good? Thanks to a newsletter from
- Microsoft has an online tool available for free here:
- Another password checker
- How to Uninstall Programs on Windows 8
- How to Take a Screenshot in Windows 8 with No Extra Software
- Is your favorite website spying on you?
- Your new PC needs these 22 free, excellent programs
- Why the FCC’s New Net Neutrality Rules are Good for the Internet
- How to Search the Content of Your Files on Windows
- Anatomy of a hack: How crackers ransack passwords like “qeadzcwrsfxv1331”
- Windows Repair Toolbox
- All Versions of Windows Vulnerable to FREAK Attack, Confirms Microsoft
CFCS WinSIG November 9, 2014 https://youtu.be/6-AOgEgRU_k 01:09:50
- The following topics were covered:
- 19 Tips Every Windows 7 User Needs to Know
- How to edit a PDF document in Word 2013
- The best free Start menus for Windows 8.1
- Microsoft increases OneDrive storage from 1TB to unlimited for Office 365 subscribers
- How Spammers Get Your Email Address
- Crapware Finds a New Way to Trick Users to Install Browser Extensions
- Beware: Never Download “Codecs” or “Players” To Watch Videos Online
- How My 98-Year-Old Grandfather Embraced The Internet
The CFCS Digital Photo SIG March 2014 https://youtu.be/YaLpr2IlY6c 00:57:26
The discussions included:
- Tips for using memory cards and
- Tips for using a tripod.
- Photo file types, including jpg, gif, and png types.
- Tablet/phone program for Android & iOS that makes it easy to take group photos, with you included!
- Examined EXIF data, explaining what it is and why it is important to you.
- Eye-Fi and using it to upload photos directly from your camera.
CFCS Digital Photo SIG Feb 2014 https://youtu.be/70i8aWK8rUw 01:05:00
Items discussed & presented at the Feb 2014 meeting:
- The Narrative Clip
- Privacy! Yours, Mine, & Theirs
- How to Hide or Blur Faces & Information in a Photo
- 2 Demos
- Photography for Beginners Travel Photography Tips
- You Didn’t Know You Could Do These 5 Awesome Smartphone Camera Tricks
CFCS Virtual Photo SIG May 2013 https://youtu.be/rHr9FaSCw1k 01:08:19
- Adobe is killing Creative Suite; here’s why
- Using Snagit for Process Documentation
- Essential Guides for Getting Started in Camtasia & Snagit
- 10 Troublesome Colors to Avoid In Your Advertising
- Illustrate how to always carry you camera’s manual with you
- 5 Best Windows 8 Photo Editing Apps
- Manual Made Easy from Photography for Beginners Issue 25
- Tips for taking a silhouette photo from http://www.photoforbeginners.com
CFCS_Digital_Photo SIG for April 2013 https://youtu.be/UpQGJ0Js8MA 01:37:11
This meeting’s topics are
- Photo Resizing and
- Screen Capture.
This session is aimed at beginners and intermediate users from any Operating System.
CFCS Digital Photo SIG for February 2013 https://youtu.be/KZ1AZLFFjgQ 00:56:25
This month we examined 14 on line photo editing programs. The recording did not get started until after the first demo.
CFCS Digital Photo SIG November 2012 https://youtu.be/9X5x00JWRTs 00:38:22
This meeting includes a discussions about
- Purchasing a Camcorder.
- Then there were demos of SoftOrbits Software, including Photo Stamp Remover,
- Red Eye Removal Tool, Photo Retoucher, Batch Picture Resizer,
- Batch Picture Protector with Watermarks.
CFCS Digital Photo SIG January 2013 https://youtu.be/z61AxLf_BZs 01:00:02
- Some Photo News
- Smartphone Film Scanner
- Fotobar Stores
- Free Adobe Creative Suite 2
- WWII Photos
- African Photos by Dick Dehler
- 10 things to know about light
- Management of digital memory cards
CFCS Photo SIG August 2012 https://youtu.be/eRThCydQG1A 01:26:00
Demos of several photo editing procedures.
Central Florida Computer Society Digital Photo SIG July2012 https://youtu.be/w24WTx8T6Zo 01:05:21
Some items covered:
- Photoshop Elements
Central Florida Computer Society Digital Photo SIG May 2012 https://youtu.be/bNunLoRMIeU 01:30:53
- “RTFM: A Guide to reading your Point & Shoot Camera User Guide”.
- “How to Buy a Digital Camera,” a short explanation of the 4 types of cameras and how to purchase the best type for you. This topic is based on a recent PC Mag article.
PicasaWeb July, 2010
- Setup PicasaWeb Part 1 https://youtu.be/SNjLBlnJsyQ 00:04:50
- How to use PicasaWeb Part 2 https://youtu.be/C_Da92NUlkQ 00:07:51
- How to use PicasaWeb Part 3 https://youtu.be/D5HP5mexsR8 00:04:04
- How to Use PicasaWeb Part 4 https://youtu.be/JLXfPqcTOtg 00:04:08
Four parts that show how to set up and use PicasaWeb for photos